Monday, February 4, 2008

My Heritage

Baby Endah

I am a Singaporean by nationality. By race, I am a Boyanese, an Indonesian ethnic group. My father was born in Bawean, one of the many small Indonesian's islands situated in the Java Sea. When my father was about two years old, his family migrated to Singapore.

My father (on the right) was 15 years old

On the other hand, my mother, a Boyanese descent like me, was born in Johor Baru. Her family migrated to Singapore when she was about eight years old. The family of my parents was from the village Kelompang Gubuk in Bawean island. They lived in Singapore at the same Pondok named Kelompang Gubuk. This happened during the British colonial days.

My mother in her teens

My parents grew up in the same vicinity. They were friends during childhood and got married during the later part of their teenage lives. They were blessed with six children. I am their second child.

My beloved parents

My parents had a wonderful marriage life. They made a perfect couple meant for each other. According to me their marriage was heavenly sent and I had a splendid childhood life. However, the happiness was not meant to last. I became orphan before I could repay my father's kindness in bringing me into this world. My mother continued to raise her children, taking the duties of both father and mother.

My mum as a young widow doing tailoring work to earn some income

On this coming 6th February, is the date my father passed away. My mother has been a widow ever since his death in 1982. My father was her only and true love that could not be replaced by any other man.

My siblings and I - we were once orphans

No comments:

Post a Comment