Friday, August 22, 2008

Kampong Amber

(My extended families living in Kampong Amber since 1950s)

Kampong Amber was once situated at Amber Road, in Katong area. There were several Singaporean Baweanese families living side-by-side with the Malays in this kampong. Among the Singaporean Baweanese who previously lived there were my paternal grandma and aunties. When Grandma Asmaniah remarried, she moved out from Pondok Kelompang Gubuk to live with her husband in Kampong Amber, while my dad lived with his sister, Aunt Jamaliah, in the same kampong. Later on when my dad married my mum, he moved back to Pondok Kelompang Gubuk, living there for the next fourteen years before moving out of the Pondok to live in HDB flat.

(Singaporean Baweanese Wedding at Kampong Amber in early 1960s)

Even though I lived in Pondok Kelompang Gubuk for the first twelve years of my life, I often stayed over at my Aunt Jamliah's home, spending the whole school holidays in Kampong Amber. The memory of kampong life always lingers in my mind recalling the period of joy, having lots of fun with my cousins and kampong friends, playing in the open within the compound of Kampong Amber. We played all sort of kampong games from catching spider to playing hide-and-seek to hop-scotch to skipping ropes and racing games.

(My parents visiting their relatives in Kampong Amber during mid-1960s)

I could still recall the morning sound of dawn; the crowing of the cock and the chirping of the birds on the trees, acting like the alarm clock, waking everybody up. The water from the well was icy cold in the early morning and was very useful in waking-up those sleepy heads. I really miss the kampong life atmosphere! Those were the days and the good times of my childhood, the wonderful period of my life. During those days, I was extremely happy and felt fortunate to have beautiful family and wonderful extended families, the people whom I loved, living happily all around me.

(I was in my dad' arms while he was standing beside his step-mother.... his step-father remarried after Grandma Asmaniah passed away.... during mid-1960s)

Indeed my dad had given me a splendid childhood life, the period in which never in a million years could I ever imagine that somewhere in my life ahead that I would be in a state of misery, especially during the depressing period of seeing my youngest sister and only brother to experience sadness in their childhood life. They did not have the same beautiful childhood memory as mine. The childhood life of my two youngest siblings was the most difficult period of my life.

(Present day Amber Road)

(Along this stretch of road there are severals blocks of condominiums)

(Look!!! a palm tree from the past Kampong Amber is still standing tall at the same spot! .... I'm just joking! :D )

(This condominium is indeed very high!)

No comments:

Post a Comment