Saturday, May 3, 2008

My Uncle, the Army Captain

(Captain Soaidy Ali Bin Ali in his army uniform - Photo taken in early 1960s)

The late Captain Soaidy Ali was my uncle. I addressed him as 'Obek' (which means older uncle in Baweanese language) since he was my mother's oldest brother. Obek Sairi (the name I used to call him) was good at handling rifles and had won several prizes in air-rifles competitions.

(Some of my uncle's winning plaques during the period of his Army Career - 2001)

After his retirement from the army, my uncle became an Imam in one of the Masjid nearby his home. Like Uncle Bohari, Uncle Soaidy was able to recite the Holy Qur'aan beautifully. In fact all of his siblings are good at Qur'aan recitation. This was because, like any other typical Baweanese in those days, my grandfather was very strict and particular in educating his children with the Qur'aanic knowledge.

(My mum on the right most in the front row. She won a prize for reading Qur'aan correctly and beautifully - 1950s)

Unlike any other ordinary Baweanese, my grandfather was a very far-sighted person who believes in the importance of education. He sent all his children to school and all of them completed their studies. Some of my aunties and uncles made it to the tertiary level.

(Uncle Soaidy at the right most with his maternal uncle standing in the middle, and friends - Photo taken in the early 1950s at Johor Baru)

Uncle Soaidy was born in Ipoh, Perak and received his early education in Johor Baru at the English College. He married a Baweanese descent lady, living nearby Pondok Kelompang Gubuk. I address his wife as Obek Hatma. They were blessed with five children.

(My Uncle's wedding photograph - late 1950s)

(Uncle Soaidy with his wife, sister-in-law -Cikgu Mon from Tun Seri Lanang Secondary School, and my mother -sitting beside him. Photo taken in the 1960s during a wedding held at Pondok Kelompang Gubuk. The front most room at the second floor was converted to a wedding hall. During such occasion, all the beds were dismantled and the wardrobes were shifted to the side of the room)

(At another wedding occasion. I was the little girl sitting beside my younger sister at the front. Behind were my two aunties and relatives. Standing at the rear was Aunt Suhaidah and sitting in the middle was Aunt Dalila. Notice the wardrobes being shifted to the side of the room. Photo taken in late 1960s)

(Obek Sairi and Obek Hatma as I always remember them in my memory - Photo taken in early 1960s)

My Uncle passed away in August 2000 due to old age. He was then 65 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment